Monday, October 1, 2007

Autumnal Grilling

What's the worst thing about grilling this time of year? It get's dark too early! I had to grill Johnnycakes and I's ribeye steaks in the dark. I know this picture looks kind of spooky. Now that it's October, my mind automatically goes to ghouls and goblins. Of course, it's kind of our own fault that I couldn't see what I was doing because we have not gotten around to replacing the faulty light that used to hang outside the back door to the kitchen.


I didn't get outside to start grilling until around 7:30 p.m. because I had errands to run and Johnnycakes was in school. I think it's getting dark around 7:20 p.m. right now. I did my best to turn on the grill in the dark and watch the steaks.

The hardest part was determining if they were fully cooked or not. I tried to cut into one of the steaks to see if it was cooked in the center. The beef still looked kind of pink but I thought it was done.
When I got inside into the light, it was obvious the steak was rare or medium rare at best. I was comfortable eating it but Johnnycakes was not and put his back on the grill for a few more minutes.
Despite all these efforts, we had a tasty steak dinner which was actually inspired by one of favorite cheeseburgers at Chili's. I'm not sure if they still have it, but Chili's used to feature a burger topped with black pepper, blue cheese and fried onions. Yum...

2 comments:

Abby said...

I haven't been to Chili's in forever ... we used to eat there in college all the time! (I always got the steak pita or something. It was good, anyway!)

I agree about it getting dark - already starting at 7 p.m.! I noticed last night.

Luckily, grilled food tastes good no matter when the sun goes down. Right! Looks great.

Kelly Mahoney said...

I love Chili's, my class used to go there all the time.