Monday, November 19, 2007

Lemon Chicken and Other Non-Holiday Related Foods

It's always tough to prepare dinner the final days leading up to Thanksgiving. You're craving all those traditional Thanksgiving items but you don't want to spoil the big day by eating something too similar. Come to think of it, that's probably why I've been craving lasagna but I digress. We also need to go to the grocery store for our big Thanksgiving shopping trip so our food selection is pretty sparse. Since Johnnycakes has been preparing so many magnificent feasts lately, I really wanted to pull my own weight and let him relax.

I scoured the fridge for ideas on flavoring the chicken. I thought there wasn't too much about Lemon Chicken that reminded me of Thanksgiving.

I marinated the chicken breasts for 30 minutes with the following items:

1/2 lemon, squeezed
1 TBSP. Lemon Pepper Seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt

I tried to keep Johnnycakes involvement to a minimum but, being the barbecue king that he is, he grilled the chicken out back while I tended to the side dishes.

I picked up some Rice-A-Roni Savory Whole Grain Rice packs a few weeks ago when they were on sale . I thought the Chicken and Herbs Classico flavor would complement the chicken. I rounded out the meal with brussell sprouts and acorn squash. I know the acorn squash was kind of pushing the non-Thanksgiving theme but we've had it in the house for a while and I don't want to waste it. I contemplated cooking the acorn squash on the grill but I went the easy route and microwaved the quartered squash topped with butter, pumpkin pie spice and honey.

We both enjoyed this pre-Thanksgiving meal without spoiling our appetite for the big day!

2 comments:

Kelly Mahoney said...

Mmmm, tasty. I'm already working on my appetite.

Dhanggit said...

wow lemon chicken...thats just how i love my chicken, :-)