Friday, May 25, 2007

Are We There Yet?


I don’t know about you but one of my favorite things about vacation is the food. In fact, I know it’s not just me because most people I talk to seem to have the same feeling. There is just something about traveling away from home and getting to try different dishes, culinary experiences and new places. Food and drink are a major part of the vacation experience.

This truth is one of the reasons why I am so excited to head to Ocean City, MD for Memorial Day weekend. The last time I checked, Ocean City was not world renowned for it’s pristine beaches, year round climate and exotic local flavor but it is home to some yummy treats that you can only find there! I have been going to Ocean City, MD every summer of my life and there are certain foods that keep me coming back. Honestly, I am more excited about eating Thrashers French Fries, Grotto Pizza, Kohrs Ice Cream and enjoying a Seacret Sunset than I am about the sun and surf. My childhood, teen and college years are filled with memories of eating candy apples and cotton candy on the boardwalk, visiting the Olive Tree restaurant on 17th Street with my family and hitting Layton’s Restaurant after a long night partying at Senior Week or on a girls weekends.

Johnnycakes shares my passion for vacation and trying new foods. Our entire honeymoon was one big southern home cooking feast! We have plenty of pictures to prove it. There was even the time, on our first Ocean City trip, we spent the entire weekend traveling to our favorite pizza joints up and down Coastal Highway and the Boardwalk. The winner? A tie between Grotto Pizza (only in Delaware) and Piezanos (formerly Ponzettis) on the Boardwalk.

Don’t worry though. We wouldn’t be a Couple of Cooks if we didn’t plan to prepare a few meals at home. We’ll be sure to fire up my grandparent’s rickety old grill and cook some steaks and make some healthy breakfasts to start our day. I’ll be sure to report back on our dining deliriums!

What about you? Do you have any special dining or meal preparation plans for Memorial Day weekend or vacation memories to share? I’d love to hear some about them!

No comments: