Tuesday, June 5, 2007

GIADA Rules!


As you may have read, Johnnycakes and are both big fans of the Food Network and I love Giada De Laurentiis in particular. My family is Italian and I have a growing appreciation for Italian cooking and cuisine. I am always watching Everyday Italian on the Food Network to see what she will make next!


Tonight, Johnnycakes and I prepare her Balsamic Chicken Drummettes recipe for a second time. I think the second time was a charm because the drumsticks were picture perfect and tasty to boot.

Here is a link to the recipe on the Food Network.



We used our Couple of Cooks teamwork to prepare tonight's dinner. I marinated the meat in the balsamic vinegar, honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic mixture for an hour while I also prepared homemade mashed potatoes.


Homemade mashed potatoes are super easy and I don't think they take too much time. I prefer the red potatoes because you don't have to peel them but they weren't on sale at the grocery store this week so I picked up a 5lb. of Russett potatoes instead. I peeled the potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes), chopped them in to bite size pieces and put them in a deep microwaveable covered bowl in salt water. I microwave them for 18 minutes and then hand mash them with 2 TBSP. Smart Balance, 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 a cup of milk. They take next to no time and they are just like Mom used to make.


Johhnycakes sliced yellow squash and zucchini lengthwise, sprayed them with canola oil and grilled them right on the grill next to the Balsamic Chicken Drummettes.


A little garnishing and our meal was ready to be served!


Tonight's dinner was a real success. The chicken was sweet and sticky, the potatoes creamy and just plain good and the veggies were nutritious and tender.


Thanks Giada for the great chicken recipe!


No comments: