Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sweet and Sour Surprise


I don't know how we pulled it off but Johnnycakes and I came up with a creative dinner tonight despite zero forethought or planning.

I usually plan the meals but completely spaced out thanks to my foggy post vacation brain. I forgot to pull meat out of the freezer and didn 't even think about it until lunch time. Luckily Johnnycakes thought ahead and pulled out some drumsticks to defrost.

When I got home, Johnnycakes was in the mood for "hot wings" style chicken but I was able to deter him from the idea since we didn't have any blue cheese dressing or really any clue how to make the sauce. Instead, we opted for Sweet and Sour Drumsticks. Here is a recipe for the sauce.


Sweet and Sour Sauce


1 TBSP. Sesame Oil

2 TBSP. Apple Cider Vinegar

2 TBSP. Brown Sugar

1TBSP. Ketchup

1 TBSP. Soy Sauce

1/2 TBSP. Minced Ginger

1 Carrot shredded

1/4 cup Red Pepper, chopped

2 TBSP. scallions, chopped


Heat all ingredients over low heat for 10 minutes until thickened and vegetables are soft.


We basted the grilled chicken with this delightful and easy sweet and sour sauce. We rounded out the meal with some broccoli spears and Chinese cellophane noodles that have been in our pantry for an eternity.


Oddly and surprisingly enough, this was a tasty dinner! I couldn't have predicted this thrown -together sweet and sour Asian-influenced dinner, hence the surprise. The sauce might go well with pork as well...

No comments: